Wednesday, February 14, 2007

About the State Science Standards . . .

The issue has been all over the news: ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, The Daily Show . . .

Science is all about asking questions, using an orderly method to find ways to explain our world in terms of matter and energy. I'd no sooner try to keep you from asking questions than I would give up chocolate.

My fellow science teachers and I have been accused of brainwashing and inspiring fear in our students, and of promoting dogma and atheism.

By now you - my students - know me pretty well. I'll let you make up your own minds on that one.

Please don't take my - or anyone else's - opinion on the science standards issue as carved in stone. Here is a link to a document (warning: pdf) that highlights the changes that were made Tuesday.

Analyze the evidence. Form your own conclusion.

And remember, if you have concerns that you aren't comfortable sharing with me, please let your parents, or your guidance counselor, or an administrator know quickly. Although no learning occurs without some discomfort, I don't ever want you to feel ridiculed. Or brainwashed. Or fearful.

No comments: