Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ethical Dilemma, Part 1


  1. Suppose you are a passenger in a car driven by a friend. As you are about to set out on a lengthy trip, you notice that the driver is not wearing a seat belt. Should you say something to the driver about this? If so, what should you say?
  2. Suppose you do remind the driver about the seat belt, but the driver replies,
    I just don't feel safe wearing a seat belt. I've heard about some accidents in which people were killed because they couldn't get out of their belts. Besides, I don't really see the point. If the car goes forward, I go with it; if it stops, I stop. What can a seat belt do about that? Nothing. Isn't this a free country? We should be able to choose--and I've made my choice.
    What, if anything, should you say now?
Please respond to these questions in the comments here, using your first name and last initial as your screen name, not your full name please! You'll be graded on the originality of your response, its clarity, and how you use science to support your response.

Adapted from Ethics in the Science Classroom, Part II.

No comments: